Monday, August 4, 2008

Breaking Dawn...Literally

This past weekend has been tons of fun, especially considering the fact that my mom and two sisters are in town. Brynn and Melissa arrived Friday afternoon just in time to make t-shirts and attend the Breaking Dawn midnight book release (the final book in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga). Let's just say that the books were being released at midnight but they were handing out wristbands with your number in line at 9am Friday morning. Matt, being the sweetheart that he is, went to get our wristbands at 8:30. There were already 236 people in line! Yikes. Nevertheless, we were excited to celebrate later that night with people equally as obsessed. 
SO, Missy, Brynn and I make these hilarious t-shirts and off we went at about 10pm. Kid you not, there were 1400 people at Borders. Total madness. Loved it. We finally made it back home after getting our books, cookie dough, and monster drinks and got ready for a long night of reading.We made it until about 6:30am(the dawn breaking) before a nap became a definite necessity. With several other necessary things to do that day, Brynn and I finally finished by about midnight. 24 hours is pretty good to read a 754 page book. 
And for my spoiler-free review of the book: I have to say, this is by far probably my least favorite of the series at this point. In fact, I am still so confused about what honestly happened that I don't even think the book fits with the other three. I didn't hate the book, I didn't love it. I was disappointed. I felt like there was way too much fluff going on and ended up making the characters lose their personalities that I love. And I didn't feel like there was much to keep me going as I read. This is by far the slowest read of the four books. Evidence seen by the fact that Melissa can't seem to stay interested long enough to even finish it. A lot of the story was not very believable or probable. I was not left wanting more at all. There is definite closure. In some ways I wish the series would have just ended with Eclipse and left the rest to imagination, but I'm sure I'll re-read this book in a longer, drawn-out fashion and hopefully like it a bit better. The good thing was, several questions were answered, there were a few parts that were really quite cute, I'm glad to have resolution but kind of let down. If you love the series, you probably have to read it just to have closure but otherwise, I might just pretend it was a three book series. If anyone else has finished, let me know! I'd love to hear what you thought!
(Pics of the midnight release will be added as soon as I can find my camera cord)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

100 more pages...i'll let you know.

Jeremy and Brigitte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy and Brigitte said...

*********SPOILERS***********
****************************
Sorry to tell you that I completely disagree with you. I would read it again after you have a baby, it will be a totally different story I'm sure. I did feel like all of a sudden Bella was no longer 19 years old and suddenly a lot more mature (hense the change in personality) However I've seen that in real life when someone gets married and has a baby really young. I'm actually surprised that so many poeple didn't like this one because this is exactly where I knew she was going to take the story even down to the Jacob Imprinting thing (and I didn't read any fan fiction). Without a doubt Twilight was the best and had a totally different feel than the other books, but I think Breakind Dawn fit in exactly like the next two books. This is how I rate them. #1 Twighlight #2Breaking Dawn #3 New Moon & Eclipse equally (I think these two could have been the same book).

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

Thats ok. I realized that I think we are going to be out or town when you come through anyway. LOL